I couldn't resist sharing this little tidbit:
The university subscribes to Mideastwire, which is a daily round-up of news stories from all over the Middle East (http://www.mideastwire.com). A couple days ago they ran an opinion piece about the US elections that originally appeared in a Saudi Arabian newspaper called Al-Watan. The article predicts an Obama victory because it imagines that the American people are tired of Bush's policies.
The funny thing, though, is how the article characterizes Americans. It says that "the American people are good and simple people who love life." Doesn't that make Americans sound pleasant yet vaguely defective and perhaps mildly menacing, like Lenny in Of Mice and Men or something?
I must say, it's really refreshing to see what the US looks like from the outside. But if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to my good and simple life. Don't you love it?!
Arabic Classes
16 years ago
3 comments:
After listening to the political diarrhea we are subjected to during this lovely election season, I'll back the simple part of it, but not the good.
Considering the alternative opinions they could have of us, I don't think I mind being one of "the American people [who] are good and simple people who love life."
I love reading your blog and your perspective on life there. Thank you and keep it up!
I had to put down the rubber band I was playing with to fully understand what you were writing --"good and simple." Now I get it, I think. Oh my goodness, there is lint in my belly button ...
Post a Comment